Almost caught up to GLOGtober...
Rations of the Mountain
Okay, so you've taken ship to the Mountain, you've arrived at one of the Two Cities, and you're about to head inland or underground on a Grand Adventure.
What the fuck kind of food do you bring with you?
1d10 Rations available in the Old City
Or, "What are these River Kingdom troops eating?"
1. Tea, compressed and molded into cakes (discs) or bricks.
2. Sesame- or poppy-seed bagels, strung on a piece of cord and carried around the neck.
3. Pre-fried rice, millet, and/or wheat flour, eaten as a porridge - or straight, in an emergency.
5. Cured meat or fish, preserved through brining, marinating, and then smoking.
6. Repeatedly steamed and basked (dried) rice, allowing it to be quickly rehydrated with the addition of hot water. Doesn't come in a box, though.
7. Sundried cottage cheese made from horse, goat, or sheep's milk.
8. Cooked ground venison, compressed into bite-sized cubes and dried.
9. Bread soaked in vinegar (for acid) and/or fermented black soybean and salt (for salt) and then dried. Used as a condiment or soup base.
10. Fermented milk wine, slightly alcoholic.
1d10 Rations available in the New City
Or, "What are these Charter Nation troops eating?"
1. Fresh chickens (or larger beasts, for larger parties), carried or driven along alive and slaughtered when it's time to eat them.
2. Hard cheese, preserved inside its rind.
3. Olive oil, carried in small clay pots stoppered and sealed with wax.
4. Just a big ol' sack of cracked grain.
5. Hardtack or other dried biscuits/crackers.
6. Beef, pork, or venison jerky.
7. Salt fish or pork, requiring multiple boilings before palatable.
8. Small beer, barely alcoholic; or water, cut with vinegar.
9. Wine mixed with honey and seawater, or mead.
10. Sauce made from fermented fish and salt, used as a condiment.
I actually like this. What *are* rations can matter :) I've added this as a link on my highlander blog post :)ReplyDelete
I really like this because of how easily it can show the tone of these groups - the fact that the Charter Nations are bringing live chickens and olive oil with them even when the city's broke and they're heading into a megadungeon really tells me all I need to know about them.ReplyDelete